Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm DONE! Happy Leap Year!!

After 6 months I have finally taken my last dose of Accutane. I feel so emotional now, I have never seen my face this good is years. YEARS people. I've had acne since I was...13? It went away, for about a year then came back super cystic when I was 16 and has not let up. But now I am 100% clear. There is seriously nothing on my face right now. Well, freckles, but that doesn't count! ^_~
So I definitely give Accutane a 10/10 for effectiveness. Despite all the side effects, I would do it again in a heartbeat to have the skin I have now. I haven't work full foundation in about 2 months! I'm in awe at how well this stuff works, and I understand fully why it is used as a "last resort" to get rid of acne. I had my ups and down with it. I broke it down to a few major upsets I consistently had:
1.) Lower back aches. Got insanely painful after month 4. It hurts to stand up after sitting for at least 30 minutes, especially when I wake up in the morning.
2.) Hemorrhoids. Once I took major active measures to reduce pain it made it bearable, but it does not go away no matter how much pedialyte and gatorade you drink, ointments, stool softeners, and fish oil pills you take.  I'd say this was the #1 side effect for me. I hate it, and it won't go away for at least another month. Mine got so bad, the derm (I finally told her by month 5) asked if I wanted to go off Accutane because I said that they were bleeding and I had blood in my stool. But I hustled through it so I could do the full 6 months.
3.) Emotional. I felt a little more emotional that normal, even with birth control pills. It was not enough to cause alarm or make me suicidal, but I did notice it.
4.) Dry lips. Once I started carrying Aquaphor with my everywhere it was not a big issue. Something no matter how much Aquaphor my lips were still disgustingly chapped and there was nothing I could do about it except not kiss my boyfriend >.< It sucks major, but I knew it was something that there was nothing I could do about it except apply more Aquaphor and Nivea lip balms.
5.) Lethargy. I have been noticeably tired on a constant basis since being on Accutane. I tend to sleep at LEAST 12 hours on the weekends as if it was nothing. I started drinking aloe juice with wheat grass to combat it. I tried more coffee(I drink a cup every morning), but it was too dehydrating and made my hemorrhoids worse -__-;;

Those are my top 5 worst side effects. I still recommend it to anyone who has insurance and horrible acne.


                                                                     Before:
                                            
                                                                          After:                              
                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment